midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   9. Re: Microsoft emal virus (Steve Landess)
>
>After setting up around 30 filters on my paid Hotmail account, I have caught
>most of the virus-bearing emails and delete them immediately.  The ones that
>aren't caught end up in a folder named viruses, where I can then review them
>to see why my filters didn't catch them.
>
>Once I revise my filter rules, I delete the virus-bearing email.  Not
>perfect, but works for now, until I can get away from using Outlook Express
>to read my email.

I long ago resolved that problem by not using Hotmail anymore -- nor Outlook
Express. I _have_ a Hotmail account because you get one whether you want it or
not when you are registered for MS Messenger, but there's no need to use it. I
use Netscape Mail instead with Netscape accounts, which you also have if you've
registered an AIM screenname. Netscape Mail works fine with Exchange servers
too.

I check my Hotmail account just to keep tabs on it. Though I don't recall ever
getting any kind of virus at any of my Netscape accounts, nor even any junk
mail except for the occasional notes from Ed Gizowski or whoever it is that
sends out to e-mail addresses associated with iSeries users and one or two
others in recent years, I've never needed to create any filters. My Hotmail
account, on the other hand, gets more garbage than I can easily count.

I don't understand why Hotmail is still used nor Outlook Express when
alternatives are available. And Netscape webmail is even much less choked with
ads and extraneous fluff.

The simple answer to Hotmail is similar to the response to "Doctor, it hurts
when I do this."

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta