> Only if the prospect WOULD have bought the zSeries.  Plus, if 3 iSeries
> can do what one zSeries does, then the zSeries is overpriced.  See, what
> I'm getting at is that IBM is trying to keep its profit margin by
> selling the customer a more expensive solution.  This is inevitably bad
> business.

I couldn't agree more!  I too am very frustrated with this reasoning.  It
should be based on a Customer's size & need.  Give a customer what they
really need, it will pay off at the end.  This would build trust between IBM
& the customer.

This reminds me of the old story that I've heard for years about the
gasoline carburetor that can get 150 miles per gallon, but the oil companies
bought and squelched it.   It is sounding like this is what IBM is doing
with the iSeries.

>Sad fact is that if any advertising is to be done it would have to be _us_
>the users with a vested interest in the box that do it.  IBM won't, and as
>shareholder I sadly have to agree with them.

I completely disagree with this.  If iSeries would get its name out into the
community, then we would have more people advocating it.  We would have I.T.
departments more easily able to recommend it, we would have more colleges
teaching OS/400, rpg or at least giving it respect.  Now, a college graduate
doesn't want anything to do with the iSeries (AS400) because he/she thinks
it is out-dated technology that will set them back if they learn it.

When we purchased our iSeries, I was laughed at by our PC Tech department
when I suggested that instead of purchasing a PC Sans solution, we could use
our iSeries as our SAN for the entire network. Of course we went the PC San
route and Arggh! You know the rest!

Don M