I have been receiving these virus-laden update messages for  a couple of
days now.

If I had to guess, I'd say that one or more people on the list with whom I
have exchanged private email are infected with the virus, and their
computer(s) are sending these messages to me.

When I got back from out of town on Friday, I started receiving many of them
on this Hotmail account, usually two or three at a time - I have probably
received over a hundred in the last two days.  The attachment size varies:
106K, 144K to 145K.

I am using the filters to determine what shows up in the Inbox, but I still
have to check the Bulk Mail box to see if there are messages from people who
I haven't set up in my rules yet.

I am able to run my virus update (McAfee 7.03.600, DAT 4.0.4294), it shows
to be up-to-date (two days old, no new updates available).

I'm surprised that M$ hasn't set up scanning of the incoming emails for
attachments bearing viruses and quarantine them so they wouldn't even reach
you, or give you the ability to quarantine them in a special folder so they
wouldn't be in your way and/or dangerous.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935