GA,

At 9/17/03 12:33 PM, you wrote:
Gary, I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but you must destroy that program and
rewrite it from scratch.

Why? I found this code to be an *excellent* example of when to use a matching record program. It was small, concise and easy to read. Any replacement program using the "new" style code would have been longer and more difficult to read.

Making matters worse, the functional bug would have still been there!! But it would not have halted the program, so it might have been easy to overlook the bug.

I see that there are already 30 million responses to your post, so perhaps
you've got your answer by now, but, really, please do the 21st century a
favor and destroy that program!

MR processing is not understood by many, since it's considered "old hat" and is probably not taught much. But why overlook a powerful tool? Read the chapter on it and understand it!

Please don't take this personally or take it to mean that I believe that complex MR programs should be written. But for the example shown I think that it's very appropriate. JMHO.

-mark