> From: Jones, John (US)
>
> Sprint has a card for laptops that lets you use their PCS Vision from
> anywhere a Sprint cel phone will work.  Speed is supposed to be about
> twice that of a modem.  It's not cheap but enables access from
> pratically anywhere.

Verizon wireless doesn't even require a card.  It uses a USB connection,
and I get roughly 160KB.  Not fast, but it's reasonable and they have
plans that allow you to include (or not include) your wireless minutes
with your voice minutes.  It literally saved us from missing our plane
when we were lost in LA.  Nobody in our car was able to decipher
directions from the LA denizens, so we just logged on to Mapquest in the
car and navigated in that way.

> Personally, I use a Treo Palm/cel phone.  I have access to corporate
> email, web browsing, TN5250, etc.  While it doesn't really replace my
> laptop, it'll due if I'm out of the office for a couple of days.
> Battery life is the biggest concern.

I've been tempted, but I'm really not a gadget guy <grin>.  I like my
laptop (it's got a 15" screen but weighs only about 3.5 pounds), and
with the Verizon connection, it's really pretty portable.

Joe