Maybe I'm about to show my ignorance on the subject, but, doesn't ILE
already function like what MS describes for .NET MSIL/CLR?  And has had
for umpteen years?  Don't we have ILE languages like RPG, COBOL, C, and
CL? (are there others?)

I admit I don't understand all of the technical lingo you quoted.

Or is just a matter of not having a "rich palette of languages from which
to choose"?

GA