I have a qsh script that I need to prompt the user for a password and do not
want to echo it to the screen. I am having a heck of a time finding a way to
do this. I tried:

1 - Making a command with a hidden field and calling it via "system", but
nothing appears on the screen when the command is called, regardless of
various selective prompting characters I tried. It is as if once qsh has the
screen, it has no way to relinquish control to anyone else.

2 - Making a CL and a DSPF with a hidden field and calling the CL via
"system", but same results as #1. It is as if the CL is being invoked but
its screem output goes nowhere.

3 - Using dynamic screen manager APIs. (Actually I never figured out how to
tell DSM not to echo the input chars, but it was a moot point because the
test didn't even get that far). I thought this would work for sure, but as
soon as qhell "system" calls the DSM program, it blows up with "CPD0772:
Program contains commands only valid when run interactively." Apparently it
thinks of my interactive qshell session as a batch job.

All of these tests work fine from the OS/400 command line but when I put
them in a shell script they don't.

4 - I didn't actually try it, but I was thinking of a simple C program to
accept the input, but I cannot come up with a C/400 function that will not
echo the input.

Does anybody have any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,
-Marty