Well, now I'm confused - I used your source on our V5R1 machine, and it compiled just fine. This looks like a bogus error. I suggest you call IBM support, as this is not correct.

There is no VARCHAR data type in DDS, only A for character (actually, alpha). This is modified with a keyword to make the field variable-length. The message says the type must be A, S, H, or G in position 35. Of course, we don't have the source for the file in question, but these fields ARE character fields, and SST did work for me. And I'm not all that special.

Maybe others have ideas why this does not work for you.

HTH

Vern