>The problem is that I need to be able to *prompt*
>the command in the request-message handling program.

Put a question mark in front of the command and consider yourself prompted.
As in ?wrklnk  This functionality has been part of XPF from the S/38 days.

In a somewhat related vein, now may be a good time to mention selective
prompting.  To see how selective prompting works, when in the prompt for a
command, press F13 and page to the end.  You can use selective prompting in
a CL command (or QCMDCHK or QCMDEXC!) to allow prompting for one parameter
of a command, but not the rest.  Try this from a command line to see the
possibilities: call qcmdexc ('wrklnk ??obj(*n)' 32).  Remember that this
works on strings, so if you create your own command, you can create your own
prompting...

Hope this diversion was helpful.
  --buck