Although in my more vindictive moments I would agree with Ed's philosophy of making the users responsible for their data, there have been times when our programs, not fumble-fingered users, caused the problem.

And, if a user selects a wrong option, whether due to poor training, confusing menus, stupidity, or other cause, shouldn't our programs be smart enough and have enough interlocks to make sure things run in the proper order?

And yes, I cringe when someone contacts us the week before month end and cries, in a desperate voice, that the reports from -last- month end were incorrect, that they're critically important to the running of the company, and that We Simply Must Have Them Corrected (usually invoking The Name of a Highly-Placed Manager).

The Company is better served by being able to go back a full month.

*sigh*

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ed Said (in part):

I feel that we in the IT can not overcome the User mistakes for weeks and
years to come.

Users have to accept the role of doing their job in a 7 day window.

If that does not cover the issue, then we need better users.

Doing a 30 day back-up for each day, Is Covering the user not the company.

Our job is to back up the information entered by the users.  We have and can
not have a position on the quality of data preserved...  We just back it up.

As far as I can say.... keep a week and do Mt ends (keep them forever) and
let the user explain the rest...