Tom Liotta wrote:
> Probably _LOTS_ of debate available on the paragraph as a whole. But I'm
> curious about the final question in particular. Why would IBM not support
> it? How would it be any different from IBM supporting FTP or ODBC after
> exit programs from a 3rd-party vendor were installed? What about
> supporting a crashed web site that includes web-enabled applications after
> 3rd-party conversion to alter dspf I/O statements to 3rd-party external
> calls to handle JSPs?
>
> I'm not clear on why Python applications would be any different as long as
> source is available. Certainly the customer must be prepared to handle
> such crashes first as an application bug before deciding to turn it over
> to IBM, but even application support is possible.
>
> Tom Liotta

Tom: Just to be clear, when I recommend Python, I am definitely not speaking
on behalf of my employer. Other people I work with know about Python, if
only because I like talking about it. But other than possibly recognizing
the ".py" file extension, you won't find much support for Python in our
tools.

I certainly do wish I could say that you could get support for mission
critical apps written in Python. But unfortunately I can't. That's why I've
recommended using it for your casual programming, tooling, or just for fun.
At any rate, for mission critical apps, you negotiate the service
considerations with the application provider, regardless of the
implementation language.

Cheers! Hans