James Lundy wrote:
Which would you recommend: PS or PCL?

I like postscript (ps) over pcl because postscript is not unique to printing (though printing is the most used application by far). As a consequence, there are postscript viewers that display on the screen instead of requiring you to actually send the printer commands to a printer. This really helps with testing. Plus there are postscript to PDF and postscript to TIFF utilities available that make things nice for web and faxing.

Adam mentioned that PCL is an HP and compatible language and that ps is more generic. This is largely true, but postscript isn't necessarily vendor-influence free. Postscript was developed by Adobe and therefore it's development follows Adobe's agenda. However, current versions of postscript are standardized and the specs are readily available. Postscript is more cross platform than PCL: it is used on Macs, unix, PC, and others. PCL requires printer drivers for the specific printer to be installed on the host machine and those drivers are usually windows only.

James Rich