It is very easy to do it with Java.  The IBM Java toolbox has a class that
lets you process any spooled file through a host print transform.  IBM
ships *WSCST objects you can use to produce a TIFF or GIF file.  In the
Java program you then just have to read and save the bytes to a file.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can do something similar with an RPG
program, but I have not explored the API's.

They key though is that there are *WSCST objects already installed that you
can use with the Host Print Transform function to do it.

I wish that IBM included a *WSCST object to produce a PDF.

Mark