Steve,

> _I_ can choose whether or not I wish to help you or anyone else.  I have
> been accused of being racist for this attitude.  I'm not racist.  Nothing
> against you personally, but I'm not necessarily inclined to want to help
> someone who might next take away my career and way of life.

There is no assumption of racism from my end. I hardly know you and would
not presume to know your mindset.
You must be confusing me with someone else.

> If you guys from India or wherever you are are such great programmers, why
> aren't you posting _answers_ to other people's AS/400 and iSeries
questions
> in this forum?  More often than not I see _questions_ from offshore
people,
> _not_ answers.  Seldom do I see one of you guys supply a _solution_ or an
> _answer_ to others' postings.

I assume this is directed at me. I think I have made enough contributions to
this list not to qualify as a "leech".  I would check the archives before
making such an off-the-cuff blase' remark.

> These forums are not simply for your education.  Many times I have spent
> HOURS researching issues _before_ I make a posting here.

Normally, I am a lurker here. And I have asked a question only when there is
no other means of getting an answer.

> So the bottom line is this:
> 1) Do your research (try the IBM Infocenter or Google) before asking a
> newbie question.
Point out one newbie question that I have asked this list, yet.

> 2) I'm not inclined to help you until you first help yourself by getting
> some basic training on OS/400, RPG, or whatever (see #1).
Please, I am not interested in being trained by *you* of all people.

> 3) When you start helping _me_ or others on this list, I'll be more
inclined
> to start helping _you_.

Please see my response to this thing earlier.

> Steve Landess
> Austin, Texas
> (512) 423-0935
>
> PS:  In 1999 I had to go to Chicago on a emergency project to help with a
> conversion for a client.   They tried to save money by hiring an Indian
> consultant (whom they didn't know was a complete newbie on the AS/400) for
> $65.00 per hour.  He spent six months writing code to convert the Wang
data
> from flat files into the JDE system, then all of a sudden he had to go
home
> for two months to get married.  In a pinch, they brought me in to finish
the
> project.
>
> When I looked at the code he wrote, I realized that this guy had never
> programmed in an AS/400 environment before.  I  had to almost completely
> rewrite the code that he wrote.  He didn't understand that CHAIN is used
> randomly retrieve data from files...he was using READs (without SETLL) to
> attempt to retrieve data like Item Master records randomly.  I spent 3
> months rewriting the code he had written.  If they had hired me initially,
> even though my rate was twice his, it would have been completed on time
and
> within budget.  As it is, they had to pay for it TWICE.

And this is some code that *I* had to deal with from an expensive American
Programmer .

C           SHDCTO    IFGT 1
C                     GOTO END
C                     ELSE
C                     Z-ADD1         COUNT
C                     END
C           END       TAG

I am sure this was because he know that the RPG Compiler might make a
mistake.

Narayanan R Pillai