Buck,

Yes, if it cranked all the way around this thread would have ended a while
back ago.  Although, I will always argue the cheaper but not now.... :-)

The problem that I see it as is it might not be possible nor easy to
provide the best response for all these different scenarios.  IFS, JVM,
OLTP, database queries, DNS, HTTP, Websphere.....and so on.

And they aren't excuses but compromises..... :-)  But I agree with your
goal for e-tasks......

One interesting point is that there have been some changes in this area.  I
realize you may have problems with your 820 but the Mhz and L2 changes in
the 8xx arena are a step in the right direction.  Same with the directory
type change in V5R2......

                      Buck

                      <buck.calabro@xxx        To:
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                      msoft.net>               cc:

                                               bcc:

                      08/13/2003 04:10         Subject:  Re: Why is the iSeries
so slow
                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

> Now, if those applications truly performed significantly worse...it
> wouldn't be worth the hassle.  In our case the mantra does work - it
could
> for many others but it's not a guarantee.  Now, that I've added potential
> fuel to the fire I think I will go back to read mode.....

No, I think you've made my point very well.  In some (many?) circumstances,
a 10% performance hit is acceptable vs. the PC hardware when you think of
it
as consolidating the workload and getting rid of some boxes.  Some (many?)
iSeries people may accept that tradeoff as a reasonable cost of doing
business.  And that's OK.  The problem comes in when the PC guys make good
on their claim of being able to do it cheaper AND faster.  Not every shop
has to worry about that particular issue, as they may have a good
centralised IT plan.  We're an ISV, and need to sell the hardware so we can
sell our software.

What I'm getting at is that IBM shouldn't relegate e-tasks to the '10%
slower' bin; rather, I'd like to see e-tasks twice as fast on iSeries as on
cheap PC hardware.  Why make excuses when we could be bragging?
  --buck