Alan Kincer wrote:
In the upper left-hand corner of all screens I would like to insert the
current percentage so the users can see for themselves what's going on.
Instead of CPU I would relabel it something like "Usage:" or "Load:")

If at all possible I would like to put descriptions instead of the
percentage number (Light/Heavy/Maximum or something like that) in colors
that correspond to the level, but really the percentage is great if I can
get even that.

Some time ago someone did something similar to this that shows the
environment the user is logged into so I'm pretty sure this is possible. Can
someone tell me how?

There is a cool unix program that does exactly what you want, except it is obviously for unix machines. But the source is available and might be helpful to you (licensed under the X11 license). The program is called xload. Here are some excerpts from the docs:

DESCRIPTION
       The  xload  program  displays a periodically updating his-
       togram of the system load average.

OPTIONS
       -hl color or -highlight color
               This  option  specifies  the  color  of  the scale
               lines.

       -lights When specified, this option causes xload  to  dis-
               play  the  current  load average by using the key-
               board leds; for a load average of n, xload  lights
               the  first n keyboard leds.  This option turns off
               the usual screen display.

       -scale integer
               This option specifies the minimum number  of  tick
               marks  in the histogram, where one division repre-
               sents one load average point.  If  the  load  goes
               above  this  number,  xload will create more divi-
               sions, but it will never use fewer than this  num-
               ber.  The default is 1.

       -update seconds
               This  option  specifies the interval in seconds at
               which xload  updates  its  display.   The  minimum
               amount  of  time allowed between updates is 1 sec-
               ond.  The default is 10.

       -remote host
               This option tells xload to  display  the  load  of
               host instead of localhost. Xload gets the informa-
               tion from  the  rwhod  database  and  consequently
               requires  rwhod  to be executing both on localhost
               and host.

This might be a really cool program to have for the iSeries. It looks like the important parts are the communications with rwhod, so maybe rwhod is a better place to start. I don't think there is an rwhod for iSeries but possibly the implentation of xload and rwhod could be cut down and used on the iSeries.

James Rich