> However I've been told that the DNS server in our network needs to have
> it's cache reset to no longer associate that ip address with the old mac
> address.  Currently that involves telnetting into the router, etc.  I
> thought about scripting some telnet session, much the same as you can
> script a ftp session.  Is that possible?

DNS does not store MAC addresses, just IP addresses.   Perhaps you're
thinking, instead, of clearing the ARP cache?

I have a feeling that this may be a non-issue.  The time it takes to
restore libraries (at least on my system) is MUCH longer than the ARP
cache lasts, therefore as long as you take the old interface down, and
bring the new one up before doing the restore, this should be a non-issue.
Of course, your mileage may vary...  different machines have different ARP
limitations.

> Then it was suggested to me that I script a SNMP request.  Evidently they
> can do more security on that.  And the thought of having router admin
> passwords buried in script files was not very appealing to them.  I can
> respect that.  How would one do that from the iSeries?

In the "UNIX-type APIs" category of the system APIs there are some SNMP
APIs.  I've never used them, but they're probably whay you're looking for.

Here's a link:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/apis/unix6.htm

Good Luck