From: David Wright [mailto:dwright@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:33 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: iSeries vs. Unix vs. SQL Server vs. Oracle

A few more details about my situation:

The packages:
1) SQL Server-Based - This is NOT the best fit for the business in terms of
functionality.  It is the front runner, but only because it's gui is more
attractive.  And the fact that the salespeople have promised a couple of
things: 75% reduction in MIS expenses/staff, and a 100% match to our
business now & in the future.  This is all sales crap, but the GUI has a few
key people convinced.  This package does not even have it's own
Accounting...  It relies on MS's Solomon Acct, and our CFO has been quoted
as saying 'If it is made by Microsoft, it must be good'...

2) iSeries-based - Best fit functionally, and comes with complete source
code (to ensure a fit as needs change in the future.  Salespeople were not
flashy, and did not promise the world to everyone.  I have a few people
convinced this is the way to go, but our CFO does not like the AS/400
look/feel...  This package has 20-30 clients in our business, the SQL Server
package has only 1.

Our business:
* We are a small/medium company in the footwear industry with 50-75 users
* Prior to our current ERP package, the company had one package which the
heavily modified for 15+ years
* We are a privately held company with a VERY entrepreneurial atmosphere
* We have had an iSeries for 3+ years now, and my staff are all iSeries pros
* We do have an NT network, but rely on it purely for Exchange and
print/file services
* We do not have SQL Server, but are considering it for our web server

My key challenge will be to get past the 'Microsoft makes it good' and 'it's
pretty so it must be efficient' attitudes of a couple of people.

The emails so far have helped, and I will continue to search for
case-studies/documents/etc to help support by reliability/scalability
claims...

Thanks again,
David