Something like this is the union in C/C++, which has multiple datatypes at the same address.

Is this a stand-alone field or an element of a DS? If the former, I'd have a hard time understanding how it got there, unless through a pointer, or some un-initialized memory.

Vern

At 08:01 PM 7/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I knew someone would catch that. Right after I sent it I realized the space
shouldn't be there. I had substituted the real words that the person had
used in the demonstration because.. well, because he's shy.

But the real question that I don't understand is... What good is a D type
field if you can put anything that you want to into it?
Booth Martin http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx

-------Original Message-------

From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 4:39:06 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A date field with someone's name in it?

Booth Martin wrote:

> This just cost me a cheeseburger. I was flabbergasted to see, in debug, a
> field defined in the D specs as a date field, with a value of "Santa Claus
.

> For some silly reason I had assumed that a D field would only have valid
> dates in it.
>
> Is anyone else as surprised as I was?

I am ... "Santa Claus" has 11 characters, and date fields only have 10.
(Snicker.)

But as Scott said, any field can have any value. Your RPG program
probably has a character field overlaying the date field (or the date
field is in a DS, meaning the DS itself is "overlaying" the date
subfield). If you put "Santa Claus" in the character field, it will
also go in the date field since they share the same storage. Other ways
of getting bad data involve misused basing pointers, or mismatched
parameters.