From: Lou Forlini [mailto:lforlini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 2:44 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: The Journal News: Flow of jobs overseas has human toll

At 11:57 AM -0400 7/29/03, Douglas Handy wrote:
>When a company hires an offshore firm to code a project for them and the
>software is returned via the internet, how should the tariffs be
>imposed?  What
>if the firm provided support or maintenance instead of a new project?
>
>What if it is just a call center which is moved offshore?  For example, our
>small town used to have a call center which employed hundreds of
>people for tech
>support for a major PC manufacturer.  They recently moved the entire
operation
>to the Phillipines where they are not putting in a 1600 seat call center.
>
>What do you do?  Add international tarrifs to raise the price of long
distance
>to compensate for the labor rate differential?
>
>What wonderful regulations and taxes apply in a situation like an
>offshore call
>center?  The concept of tarrifs seem to be easier to apply to things
>like steel,
>not that it has saved the steel industry either.

Doug,

    I don't know the answer.  In the case of a software company that
used more than 50% offshore development to create a product, I would
class the product as an import.  But I'm just as sure that any
company that would do that sort of thing would also re-classify as
many US-based executive secretary jobs to "product development" as it
took to get around any such law.

    In cases like call centers and offshore IT development, I have no
idea how to fix it.  For the call center, no long-distance tariff
would work because I'm sure that these companies would think nothing
of using Internet voice from overseas to a station in the US to get
around that.

    I would think that in the long run a difference in quality would
be perceived in the marketplace, but past experience shows that the
vast majority of consumers are price-conscious to the exclusion of
all else (they like to complain but won't pay more to resolve the
complaints).

    So are we all doomed?  Should I pack up and move to India so I can
get a job in IT?

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer