Jimmy -

It would help to know more information about what "they" are trying to do.

Are you using CPYSPLF to copy the spooled files to a database file and
process them?  The CPYSPLF command has options to put print control
information in the database records created by this command.

Example 1:

The command

CPYSPLF FILE(PRTFDVPOBJ) TOFILE(QTEMP/TEMP)
JOB(479639/AUSL0TMP/QPADEV000C) SPLNBR(4)
CTLCHAR(*FCFC)

will copy the spooled file into a database file named TEMP in library QTEMP.
The database file TEMP was created to be 1 byte longer than the width of the
spooled file.  Specifying CTLCHAR(*FCFC) will put a 1-byte control character
into the first byte of each record.

>From the help text for the CPYSPLF command:

*FCFC
     Specifies that the first character of every record
     contains one of the ANSI forms control codes listed in
     the  CL Reference  manual.  This option may be useful
     for microfiche production.

Example 2:
CPYSPLF FILE(PRTFDVPOBJ) TOFILE(QTEMP/TEMP2)
JOB(479639/AUSL0TMP/QPADEV000C) SPLNBR(4)
CTLCHAR(*PRTCTL)

will copy the spooled file into a database file named TEMP2 in library
QTEMP.  The database file TEMP2 was created to be 4 byte longer than the
width of the spooled file.  Specifying CTLCHAR(*PRTCTL) will put print
control in the first 4 bytes of each record.

>From the help text for the CPYSPLF command:

*PRTCTL
     Specifies that the first four characters of every
     record contains skip- and space-before values useful
     in high-level language programs.  This code can be
     viewed as SSSL, where SSS is the skip-before line
     value and L is the space-before value.

Hope this helps,

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas