I had voiced this same opinion one day recently when the topic was being
discussed at our office.  I almost got my head taken off. The words
'fair' and 'right' seem to have vastly different meanings depending on
your point of view.

Bonnie

At 23:10 07/28/2003, Janet Krueger wrote:
>The New York Times article on IBM seems to be generating a lot of
other
>press articles on the flow of job overseas, such as the one below...
>
>http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/072703/d0127offshore.html

That's really sad. Capitalism is really biting us here, but isn't it
working the way it's supposed to work? Sure many jobs are moving off
shore.
We're feeling major pain. Gradually, wages in other countries will rise
as
the standard of living, and the experience and  expectations of the
people
in those places become similar to ours in North America. Our standard
of
living will drop. Theirs will raise. Eventually we'll all be the same.
Is
that a bad thing? Obviously it's bad from the viewpoint of the US
programmer, but is it unfair? Isn't it just a tad arrogant to expect
all
the good stuff to be available only to those of us who, by accident of

birth, happened to end up in Topeka or Baltimore or Toronto? This is
not a
helpful thing to the guy who earned $120K last year and is now working
10PM
to 6AM at Stop and Go, but have we the right to call it unfair? It's
really
difficult to think of ME as a bit of cosmic flotsam, but what right
have I
to assume that I am anything but? I don't like it either, but before
the
flames start, think about it.

Pete Hall
pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx