<snip>
I think we have to get to 4.5 first before installing anything newer. If
that is true, can we make the 4.5 change on the old box and then move all
to the new one? Can you install from the old 4.3 box onto the new 5
something
box straight away?
</snip>

Assuming you are on equipment that will go to V5R2, you most definitely
want to get to V5R2 with a stop at V4R5 first.  Rob is correct, review the
documents he suggested carefully, although any decent business partner is
going to do all that for you anyway, (I do).  You want to avoid an
operating system upgrade as part of a hardware upgrade if you can, (not
always possible).

If you do wind up doing an OS upgrade while moving to a new box you would
load the old QUSRSYS and QGPL on to the new machine, which will cause a
backlevel condition.  You then do a SLIP install of QGPL, and QUSRSYS. and
the objects will wind up getting upgraded for you in similar fashion to an
OS upgrade..

I have done this procedure from as far back as V4R2 and had it work, but it
is definitely not recommended

Jim Oberholtzer
Senior Solutions Architect
Computech Resources, Inc.