Van: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Namens Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Verzonden: woensdag 23 juli 2003 0:12
Aan: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Onderwerp: Weird problem - job seems active but is not active after a
V5R2upgrade

Since upgrading to V5R2 we have been experiencing a weird problem.  I do
have a call into IBM but thought I might check to see if anyone has seen
this before.

Intermittently, when a batch job is submitted, the status of the job is in
question.  If you use job commands (WRKJOB, WRKSBMJOB, WRKUSRJOB) you can
find the job and the status indicated is active and all of the other
information looks correct (entered system, started, subsystem, pool, etc.).
However, there are a few indications that the job is indeed not active - the
job takes much longer to run with the system behaving normally, the JOB
commands show no function in use, and a command like WRKACTJOB will not show
the job as active.  Normally, I would dismiss this as either the system
having a performance problem or the job actually being in a job queue.
Unfortunately I have seen this twice myself - using WRKSYSACT the system
seems very normal, there are no problems shown in DSPSYSSTS, the WRKJOB
indicates that the job is active, but WRKACTJOB does not show the job.  And
a simple job that should run in 15 seconds or less (DSPLIB for
example) may take 10-15 minutes or more to complete.  This is exactly the
kind of thing that I would dismiss if someone else was telling me but I have
seen this twice now myself.

I am working with IBM and they are at a point where they want to get more
information at the time this intermittent problem happens (DMPSYSOBJ
OBJ(QWCBT01) CONTEXT(QSYS) TYPE(19) SUBTYPE(D0)).  And I have no problem
with this - however last night this occurred to a major job we use for our
data warehouse environment - the job was effectively delayed 3 1/2 hours.
Unfortunately no one noticed so I wasn't able to get any more information
and it looks like there is nothing in the logs.

This did show up after the V5R2 upgrade - with current cums, groups, and
hipers at the time.  I upgraded 3 systems at the same time with the same PTF
installs and this behavior only occurs on one.  Even though I have a call in
with IBM and I'm getting assistance, this problem is weird enough I was
wondering if anyone had ever heard of it or had any thoughts.....

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302