If the Al Barsa character was almost "young enough to be in diapers", he was
probably working on a SISTEM XXXVI.  As for myself, I am almost OLD enough to
be in diapers which has only increased my curmudgeonly perspective.  If the
"Legends" ads are an attempt to promote loyalty among current iSeries
customers, and in essence, "sing to the choir"  I'd deem them a smashing
success.  However, If the intent is to bring new customers to the fold the ads
are deplorable.

Whilst gross overstatement is an important tenant of advertising, the message
you present must be believable at its core.  The "Legends"  setup tends to
invoke the notion of urban legends and destroys the core credibility of the
message.

If you want to make a case for the iSeries you could show the following:

A guy is sitting in what appears to be darkened conference room with an iSeries
machine in the middle of a round table.  The camera continually circles the
table while individuals dressed as "clowns" enter the room.  Each clown has a
sign that reads "security clown", "high availability clown",  and three "needs
me too clowns",  Each of the characters are attempting to attach clown garb to
the iSeries but it won't stay "stuck".  All the while the boss character
remains stone faced.  At this point an IT fellow walks in and begins a
conversation with the boss.  We can't hear him but each time he makes a point
he gently taps the iSeries and a clown leaves the room.  Each clown, on his way
out opens a blind and lets in a little more light.  As the last clown leaves
and the room is bathed in light the boss and the IT guy begin to laugh.  The
tag line reads "No one was laughing until we sent "OUT" the clowns.

It may not win an award but it is better than anything I have seen so far.

Ed

Email:    darbonne@xxxxxxxxxxx