If the month, day, and year start as numeric fields and you want the result
to be numeric you could just "do the math".  This is if the date is
xx-xx-xxxx.

DATE = (MONTH * 10000000) + (DAY * 100000) + YEAR

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Mail List

                      <maillist@xxxxxxx        To:
MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx@SMTP@xxx
                      ware.com>                cc:

                                               Subject:  Excel data transfer
add-in DATE fields
                      06/23/2003 01:07

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

                      <midrange-l@xxxxx

                      nge.com>

Hi All,

I'm using the IBM CAExpress Excel add-in to download some data from an
AS400
to a spreadsheet.  The problem is the file contains separate numeric fields
for a date's month, day and 4-digit year.  In order to get Excel to
recognize this as a date, I have something like this:

select digits(MONTH) || '/' || digits(DAY) || '/' || digits(YEAR) as
DateFld
from Lib/File

but it comes across as a character value.  If I simple edit the cell
containing it without actually changing anything, Excel then recognizes it
as a date.  I could set up a macro do do this, but I'd prefer a solution
that doesn't require extra processing after downloading the data.

tia,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050 voice