Hi, Andy:

Glad to see you on this other list.  :)

Unfortunately, I can presently answer only a small portion of your query.

The FC in "9406 FC 5042" stands for "Feature Code."  A 9406-5042, IIRC, is
a "System Expansion Unit."

Maybe the System Handbook is available on IBM's websites... or perhaps some
of the redbooks would have useful information.

You may also find this link useful:
   http://www.mid-blue.com/hardoff.htm

HTH - see you on the lists....
Dennis

                      Andy Cranston

                      <a.cranston@xxxxxxxx         To:
"'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      ore.com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                     Subject: More on trying to
identify pre iSeries AS/400 system units
                      midrange-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      06/19/2003 09:55 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Hello again Midrangers,

First of all thankyou to everyone who kindly spent some of their time to
give me help and point me at useful resources after my first post to
midrange-l yesterday.  Much appreciated everybody!

Well after a morning digesting on these new leads I have some more
queries...

I've spent some time this morning looking inside the two beige cabinets
(dimensions 65cm wide, 92cm deep and 160cm high).  I initially thought I
had
an AS/400 system in each cabinet.  This is not the case however.  Both
cabinets are "9406 system unit expansion FC 5042" units.  The first one
contains (going from the bottom to the top):

(a)
A backplane for plugging in boards.  26 slots.  1-13 at the back. 14 to 26
at the front.  Many of the slots have blanking plates.

(b)
A unit called the "9406 FC 5042".  I initially thought this must be the
AS/400 itself.  Rather a daft assumption now that I look back :-)  It is
too
small for something of this age and I couldn't see any internal disk
(DASD).
My guess now is that this is the power supply for the backplane immediately
below it.

(c)
A 9337 Model 10 disk array.

(d)
Another 9337 Model 10 disk array.

My second 9406 cabinet is similar but instead of two disk arrays it has an
8inch floppy diskette drive and a 1/2inch tape drive.

So I've now decided that all I have is two expansion cabinets with two disk
arrays, an 8inch floppy and a 1/2inch tape drive.  No processor, main
storage (RAM) or internal disk (DASD) at all.

Does this sound reasonable?

Also does the "FC" in "9406 FC 5042" actually stand for anything?

Best regards,

Andy Cranston.