From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003 10:23:37 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Is it possible to do this with key fields?

Vern, the application in question is strictly an inquiry subfile (list of
vendors), so this is
input-only. The problem I am dealing with is that the program was poorly
written and I am making
what would normally be a simple modification. In the course of my
modification and testing, I
found a defect with the original program that affects the page up function
(in some cases, the
first record shown on the subfile also appears as the last record on the
subfile after a page up).
The modification is basically intended to add more record selection criteria
to what shows up in
the subfile.

What I have done in the interim is to set up an OPNQRYF on the file with
KEYFLD(*FILE)
ALWCPYDTA(*NO) OPTIMIZE(*FIRSTIO) and the new data selection. There is a
minimal startup delay
that I *think* the users can live with, and it solves the problem with the
page up issue, but
introduces a new one; if page up is done from the beginning of the file, it
rolls back to the end
of the file. This is curious because I can't duplicate it in the original
program or in my
modified program without the OPNQRYF.

I think that, because of the minor impact of the new problem, the SQL
solution you propose may
become strictly academic now. However, I would still be interested in
investigating this for
future purposes. Does SQL have an option like OPNQRYF's OPTIMIZE(*FIRSTIO)
to open up the file
quickly?

TIA, Dan