Dsn, I think there is a DYNAMIC SCROLL keyword on the DECLARE CURSOR that allows positioning on the FETCH - like FETCH FIRST, etc.

You can't use a view for normal RPG IO. You CAN CPYF a view to a physical file. Then create an SQL index on it. The index CAN be used in RPG.

But you don't need SETLL, etc. Just use the SCROLL keyword and you can handle things just like good old RPG but with FETCH.

With DYNAMIC the cursor is updatable. Without, it is read-only.

Keyed processing can be accomplished with a host variable in the WHERE of a cursor, a FOR UPDATE clause in that SELECT, a FETCH, and an UPDATE WHERE CURRENT OF. But native IO is probably more appropriate for this.

Are you updating every record, or just some? Is it based on selection criteria? Then maybe an update with various CASE constructs and WHERE could do the job. A lot of "procedural" stuff can be accomplished with CASE.

HTH

Vern