A couple of comments.

First, in RPGLE, you can specify READE(E), in which case no error indicator
will be set.  Instead, you can test %ERROR(filename) to determine if the
operation was successful.  So I would look at the code and see if READE(E)
was used in this case.

Last, this belongs on the RPG list.  Perhaps you will find better advice
there.

HTH
Dennis

                      "Mike Haston **

                      Data"                        To:
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      <MHaston@xxxxxxx>            cc:

                      Sent by:                     Subject: FW: Tech Question

                      midrange-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      06/10/2003 04:26 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

>From a colleague.  I have no clue!

> Guys,
>
> We are having a strange situation that appears to be isolated to an RPGLE
program
> and was wondering if any one has encountered something similar.
>
> Basically, we are using an indicator on a READE statement to determine if
the record we are trying to
> retrieve is locked by another job.  If it is, via a called CLP we extract
the user information
> of the user that has the record locked and then send them a break
message.

> In the RPGIII program everything works as fine, however the RPGLE program
> does not recognize the lock.  In looking at the job log it appears that
something
> (like a system reply list?) is answering the message before the RPGLE
program
> gets notified of the lock.  I have copied the job logs from each program
below.  In the
> first log, you can see the "record 89 in use by" entry.  In the second
job log from
> the RPGLE program you'll notice the message has mysteriously been
answered
> with a "C".  Hitting the help key on the "C" returns "message answered by
default reply".

> Any ideas ?
>
> Ron
>

> JOB LOG DURING INTERACTIVE JOB RUNNING RPG PROGRAM
>

>                              Display All Messages
>                                                              System:
JAGE70
>  Job . . :   QPADEV01PK    User . . :   KEVINK        Number . . . :
760836

>      Open of member WIPSHF was changed to SEQONLY(*NO).
>      Record 89 in use by job 760849/KEVINK/QPADEV01ZH.
>      Record 89 in use by job 760849/KEVINK/QPADEV01ZH.
>  5 > DSPJOB
>       10100 - RETURN
>         500 - RCLRSC LVL(*CALLER)
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>  4 > dspmsg
>  4 > call ss001
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>        6600 - DLTDTAQ DTAQ(QTEMP/SSPGMSTK)
>      Object SSPGMSTK in QTEMP type *DTAQ deleted.
>        7200 - CRTDTAQ DTAQ(QTEMP/SSPGMSTK) MAXLEN(0010) FORCE('*NO')

More...
>  Press Enter to continue.
>
>  F3=Exit   F5=Refresh   F12=Cancel   F17=Top   F18=Bottom
>

> JOB LOG DURING INTERACTIVE JOB RUNNING RPGLE PROGRAM:
>
>                               Display All Messages
>                                                              System:
JAGE70
>  Job . . :   QPADEV01ZH    User . . :   KEVINK        Number . . . :
760849

>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>         500 - RCLRSC LVL(*CALLER)
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>      Record 89 in use by job 760836/KEVINK/QPADEV01PK.
>
>    ? C
>      Record 89 in use by job 760836/KEVINK/QPADEV01PK.
>    ? C
>  6 > DSPJOB
>         500 - RCLRSC LVL(*CALLER)
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>             - RETURN        /* RETURN due to end of CL program */
>  5 > dsppgm mf715
>      Ownership of object QBND154930 in QTEMP type *USRSPC changed.

More...