Maybe we have a semantics war here. At work my PC is on the internal 192.168.1.x network. So is the 400. The 400 is never directly accessible, except for return traffic when it initiates the connection. The NAT only works for things started inside the router (other security weaknesses ignored for now).

I think the PC must be in the middle for a couple reasons:

1. An applet is used to log in to the 400 - validation results could be sent to IBM's site from the applet, I suppose. I always use the internal address of the 400 - never give it the router's Internet address.

2. When using direct download, the progress is shown on the PC - suggests that bits are flying through the PC on the way to the 400. But maybe a connection is initiated by some iPTF server piece - otherwise reverse traffic would not be possible, right? I.e., the 400 would need to initiate the connection to the IBM server, in order for traffice to come back through the firewall we have.

On the matter of FTP images, you get an email that tells you where to get the prepared images. They are not automatically downloaded to the 400. I like the process very much - works very well for us but is sometimes kinda slow.

HTH

Vern