Jeffrey,

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a third-party summary of hardware at an
introductory level that would be better than the System Handbook.  In
terms of what the platform looks like and what IBM software is available
for it, that strikes me as a good place to start.  I don't think that
anyone would come away with usable skills from skimming the volume, but
it would certainly provide an overview of the hardware.

The idea of learning about the platform but not in any great depth
strikes me as difficult.  Most people learn better when they have a
specific focus.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse