There's an API QLIRLIBD (Retrieve library description) - here's some code you could use in CL. It is used in a loop based on DSPOBJD *ALL *LIB OUTPUT(*OUTFILE). It puts the library name, size, and description to your joblog.

dcl &rtnvar *char 104
dcl &rtnlen *char 4 x'00000068'
dcl &attrib *char 12 x'000000020000000500000006'
dcl &desc *char 50
dcl &size *dec (9 0)
dcl &mult *dec (9 0)
dcl &sizedec *dec (15 0)
dcl &sizechar *char 15
call qlirlibd (&rtnvar +
               &rtnlen +
               &odobnm +
               &attrib +
               x'0000000000000000')
chgvar &desc %sst(&rtnvar 29 50)
chgvar &size %bin(&rtnvar 93 4)
chgvar &mult %bin(&rtnvar 97 4)
chgvar &sizedec (&size * &mult)
chgvar &sizechar &sizedec
sndpgmmsg (&odobnm *cat ' ' *cat &sizechar +
                   *cat ' ' *cat &desc)

For the IFS, take a look at <http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci894855,00.html?FromTaxonomy=%2Fpr%2F2f8> for V5R1 and V5R2.

There's also a kit from IBM called IFSTOOL - try <ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/as400/fromibm/ApiSamples/>

HTH

Vern