Jim,
to give an easy explanation to your problem:

TCP/IP always needs to know "how to get there" AND
about the "way back". It's always a two way thing, both
sides (hosts) need to know about this
So in your network it is perfectly okay, that you point your PC's
in the 172.22.x.y network point to the AS/400 as default gate,
but your firewall obviously doesn't know how to reach that net
on the way back to establish that connection / to acknoledge even
your pings. It seems like your firewall needs to have an additional
routing entry like 172.22.0.0/16 gate 172.24.1.1. Depends on
your firewall how to setup this exactly.

HTH, regards from Germany, Philipp Rusch