On Thu, 22 May 2003 rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I don't know how the CORE curriculum will help.  Sometimes going to a
> Munson topic can help clear the mind without being tempted to go flavor
> the local venue's and missing some critical topics.

Rob, I wrote that from the angle of purely "how much session space do I
have and what can I pack it with that's the most in demand" type of
sessions.  That's what I'm using as my rolling definition of core.  Not
core as in RPG 101, CL 101....although they may be in demand.  And I will
readily caveat that there are much better minds than mine to make the
topic selections.

> I've often heard this about the 2 a year.  That might help if company A
> only sends one person a year, and company B only sends 1 person and they
> send them to different conferences then you've effectively reduced the

The concept of sending part of the staff to spring and the other part to
fall on a rolling basis is a concern.  But then, so is staying in business
right now.

> Your part 3 kind of lost me.  Are you suggesting that the XYZ vendor, move
> their annual convention to immediately precede or follow COMMON, or
> perhaps be an after hours event?  That might save on travel expense, but
> that could backfire as too much time away from the office.  Might also be
> too much information overflow to implement back at the office at once
> also.

Sure, let me clarify since you didn't get the presentation I gave the CBOD
back in Balti.

The concept here is some form of concurency or sequenciality.  In the
example I gave the CBOD and the fact that COMMON basically runs Sun-Thurs
was thus:

Leave Sunday for expo
Mon-first part of THurs keep asis with the subjects being predominately
        OS/tech/systems related
Thurs pm and Friday - let the vendors use the same venus/rooms for thier
        VENDOR user group meetings in which they would have their normal
        software centric sessions.

This would give enhanced buying power and synergy since you're buying and
using the week.  It gives more marketing interest in that a person is not
only coming for thier software product sessions, they're coming for
language, o/s, etc(Normal COMMON sessions), as well as the expo....  Some
interesting marketing synergy potential...

That make  more sense?  If you want a copy of what I gave the CBOD, email
me off line and put COMMON MOSAIC on the subject line and I'll see if I
still have a copy...David would kill me if I posted it to M-L...:)

Don in DC