Ok I now know WHY it is failing but is there a work around.

Apparently Bell South's standard (not the REAL FTP standard of course)
is to set the command channel to clear after the connection is made
while leaving data channel encrypted (private).  The iSeries expects if
the data channel is encrypted then the control data to be to which
according to my sources doesn't work (that data below).  Is there any
way to get the iSeries to clear the control channel after connection
made.

As I understand it, the main reason that we can not get through the
firewall is that Bell is expecting the control channel to be clear and
the data channel to be encrypted.   The AS/400's FTP client will not
allow you to encrypt the data without the control channel also being
encrypted (Actually, I found IBM documentation that says that this is an
FTP standard).   Because the firewall is blocking the encrypted control
data, the "handshake" can not complete to tell it to accept the
encrypted data.   I got Bell to send me their command line Connect
Enterprise software that allows for the clear command channel and it
worked from behind the firewall if I had the clear command channel
turned on.   If I had it turned off, I got the same results as I was
getting on the AS/400.

Mark Allen
IS Manager
Wilkes Telephone & Electric