From: <Mlpolutta@xxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 10:40 AM
Subject: V5R2 Quality - a related question/issue

> Folks,
>
> I was up at the Benchmark Center a few days ago and experience a V5R2
issue that I had never seen before.  The IBM guys there recommended that I
submit a bug report, but I didn't have time while there, and we're still on
V5R1 (where we're not experiencing the issue) so I would have no way to test
a fix.  Perhaps one of you who is on V5R2 can check this out.

> Here's the scenario:
> We have a Select/Omit logical file upon which we RTVMBRD to get the number
of index entries.  If RTVMBRD returns *GT zero we call programs to process
the data.  I had just completed a RSTLIB of our test database library, then
began our batch process.  This process added records to the based-on PF that
did meet the selection criteria.  However, RTVMBRD was reporting zero
entries.  Even DSPFD reported zero entries.  I found that if I did a OPNDBF
on the logical file that the entries magically appeared.  So my workaround
was to insert a OPNDBF & CLOF in the CL program just before the RTVMBRD.
The LF was set to *IMMED maintenance, so that wasn't the issue.  This has
worked in our software for (literally) years.

> Anyone else seen this?  The benchmark machine was at V5R2 with the latest
CUME as of about 2 weeks ago.