> From: Walden H. Leverich III
>
> We've had a client request information about IRB's QA/QC process
> for OS/400.
> After a move to V5R2 they have experienced several problems ranging from
> decreased performance to a casters-up crash (SQL engine bug w/PTF, but not
> on CUME pack). We have a call into their advocate for some info, and we of
> course know some too, but any info from the field would be of great help.

Wow, what a heavily worded question.

Because of a decrease in performance and a crash (casters-up being an
interesting term - does this mean a front-panel halt?  If so, which one?),
we're now worrying about quality control?

This is compared to what?  Windows, where each new release requires bigger
and faster machines with more memory and disk space, and breaks previous
releases of working software to the point where they require a rewrite?  Or
compared to previous releases of OS/400, which allow you to run unmodified
versions of programs from a decade ago on brand new hardware without a
hitch?

Did these incidents cause scratch reloads from tape, like the "reformat and
re-install" procedure which is the standard for recovering from Windows
problems?

I just want to understand what the issue is here, because these mailing
lists get quoted, and a post with such a high negative connotation index
could easily be snipped and posted out of context.

In any event, I upgraded to V4R5 and V5R1 in the past year, and have had no
upgrade-related problems other than an issue with me not following
directions.  And that one I was able to recover from without losing data,
even though I had to do a SLIC reload.

Joe