I think this is easier in RPG, but maybe it's just what I'm most comfortable
with. Sort the file by key. If there's no logical, sort it with SQL or
FMTDTA. Then there are two choices.  If you have to do it in place and you
can't replace the file, write a short program that deletes the current
record if it has the same key as the previous record.  If you can replace
the file, rename it, create an empty version, and write a short program that
writes records that don't match the previous key to the new version of the
file.

It's a chance to speak state machine.  <g>