Noel:

For any file that takes three days to reorg, I'd suggest exploring 3rd-party
solutions, _especially_ if you can get good vendor support. (Write your own
definition of "good vendor support".) I'd be nervous no matter what.

I'll also suggest you research techniques for reorg'ing large files on your own
so you can make further decisions. There are things that might help and there
might be others on this list who will supply resource links. At my web site (
http://zap.to/tl400 ), you can download and examine the RGZDBRPFM command and
CLP which 'Reorgs by DataBase Relations Physical File Members', as well as
related commands and other things. You can find it in the <Files> section under
"RGZPFM by Database Relations". This function isn't intended as a tutorial on
reorgs, but it might help you with direction.

BTW, the last large reorg I used it on ran in between 9 and 10 hours. The
reorgs on the same file in the past were taking over 36 hours, so I know things
can be done to help.

(IF YOU EVER CHOOSE TO USE IT, test it sufficiently on throw-away files first!)

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   4. Physical File Performance (Noel Johnston)
>
>We currently have a file on your system in excess of 60 GBytes and 450
>Million records.
>With the various logical files attached, the file is in excess of 140
>GBytes. It's a bit of a nightmare to reorg and the last time it was done it
>took 3 days.
>The suppliers of our software wish to split the file in to multiple members
>on the same physical file. This will in theory allow us to reorg the file on
>an individual member basis.
>
>I was wondering does it make sense, will it have an impact on performance.
>Or due to the effort involved should we look at a third party product for
>doing reorgs in the background.

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South