It doesn't matter, IMV. OpsNav being rewritten in Java is the
administrator's GUI. OS/400 isn't "providing" the GUI in the sense of X,
where the server performs the window management, etc.

The original poster specifically said,
"[RE Linux] how is it they can add a GUI interface and we can't? I truly
believe that's the only difference that really matters to the end user."

So we are probably talking about GUI for users. Do you want a $1000-$1500 PC
on the receiving dock, with keyboard, mouse, etc.? Mousifying a receiving
screen? It doesn't seem very useful to me... Unless I were able to have a
picture on the screen of the skid as it was received. (For instance,
partially damaged skid but was OK'd for receipt. Store the picture in the
system with the receipt number for later recall on the screen.) I suppose
I'm arguing the old debate that GUI isn't necessary for many types of work
the AS/400 is expected to perform.

I'd say that most Linux *servers* run headless, and either provide SSH
(character) or web-based administration. In that case, Linux and OS/400
perform similar duties. I'd find it doubtful for a person to run X on a
headless Linux box "just to" run administrative programs, as many are
available for the console also. For a Linux *application" server, then it
would make sense to run X for the client's benefit.

--
Loyd Goodbar
Programmer/analyst