>Loyd
>The AS/400 doesn't have built-in graphic hardware, so you would need a
>PC or smart terminal/thin client terminal to take advantage of a
>GUIzed environment. That's a somewhat expensive device to put on the
>shipping dock that's more exposed to the weather, or on the shop floor
>in an misty/oily environment.

I'm not sure whether you're talking about a GUI environment for an
administrator's interface or for users.  The fact that you're saying it
would be on a shipping dock or shop floor suggests a user interface.  Are
you comparing this to other computing environments that would be different?
It seems to me that a Linux, Unix, or Win2K environment WITH built-in
graphic hardware would subject you to the same situation -- PC's or thin
client terminals out in the user climate.  Isn't this the nature of a GUI
environment regardless of the type of server?

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation