On Saturday 03 May 2003 2:44 am, Tom Liotta wrote:
> midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >  12. Re: Creating PDF  (Shannon O'Donnell)
> >
> >$230?  For ONE! utility! That's insane!  You can buy the entire Adobe
> >Acrobat software suite, which comes with a free SDK so that you can
> > write your own code, AND you have access to all the other tools that
> > are part of Adobe, for $249.
>
> You wouldn't happen to have Adobe's pricing for their iSeries version,
> would you? I've only seen Windows and Macintosh.
>
> Sure, I'm pretty certain you weren't totally serious, but it's still a
> point worth exploring. I suspect even Adobe's prices would rise a bit
> if marketed for iSeries (or zSeries or...).

Comparing iSeries software to what on Windows is essentially a single user
product is bound to show some price differences ;) iSeries software is
closer to networked applications, which command a much higher price. A
while back I looked at the prices of Adobe's Distiller product, to allow
users to print documents as pdf from any application[1]. As I recall, the
price was £6000 (GBP) for a 100 user license, and something like £11000
for a site license. A site license for $230 (like we would have for all
of our iSeries users using SPLTOOL) would be quite a steal!

We bought the commercial version of Pete Clifford's CVTSPLSTMF
(CoolSpools/400) as it handles *AFPDS reports as well as *SCS[2] (I think
Brad's tool is limited to *SCS). That's 10x the price of SPLTOOL on our
P40 box, but it's easily paid for itself. We're switching more and more
reports from snail mail to email so the benefit we get keeps increasing.

Regards, Martin
[1] In the end I opted for a Linux box running Samba and the ghostscript
utilities to 'print' incoming requests to pdf, collectable from a file
share on the same box. As it reused an older PC no longer in use, the
costs (other than a bit of my time) was zero :)
[2] I had a working Linux solution for *SCS to pdf, using a combination of
CPYSPLF, CPYTOSTMF & some custom code on the 400 and enscript &
ghostscript on the Linux box, but I couldn't see how to extend that to
*AFPDS. Also CoolSpools does report splitting which makes it a lot more
versatile.
--
martin@xxxxxxxxxx  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open    \ /