You may need to think about referntial integrity options as well as triggers--

Also look at some of the abilities of logical files-- you would have to do some program changing, but you can create an LF that only includes the fields that you want updatable, and maybe access the PF as read only... maybe.

Is this a case where program logic is your best solution?

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Has anyone implemented a system that supports row-level security? By
row-level I'm speaking of a system where you could say:

Mike can add comments to items.
Mike can change items.
Mike can NOT access item 12345 in any way (not even read)
Jane can display any item where she is the product-line manager
Jane can not display item 87997 even though she is product-line manager
Pete can edit items where he is buyer
Pete can edit item 99890 (even though he isn't buyer)
Pete can add notes to items where he is seconday buyer, but can't change
them.

Any experience or places to look for decent design patterns?

-Walden