Paul Nelson wrote:

In 1988, we had equipment and handouts tied up in Customs. There was a
concern that the stuff would not be released in time for the conference. I
hope they don't do that again.

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.

You're talking about something that happened almost 15 years ago.

Things have changed since then.

Much higher traffic between the countries, the famous (or infamous) FreeTrade, etc

The internet also came up since 1988...

Times have changed facilities are all over the world. Even here in Toronto!!

Talking about technologies crossing borders: How about (the almost defunct) COMDEX. Here in Toronto, their shows was almost 5 times the size of the biggest COMMON Expo ever....

How about IBM, Here in Toronto, they have anything you can think about, without crossing any border. It is in the same towm.

In 1988, computers were big, not many needed special transportation. Now, many of the exhibitors carry a simple laptop (carry on luggage if they fly in), connect to their computers back at the office through FAST internet connections and do their presentation right on the expo floor.

Here TUG just completed its 10th annual Technical Education Conference (aka TEC) and we had out . For the last 8 years we also had a vendor expo wich attracts every years many out-of-the-country vendors. I never, never, never heard from any of those (american) vendors of ANY problem crossding the borders.

I am looking after getting speakers for our TEC and our regular meetings, I
take them anywhere I can get them, Rochester New York, Toronto, California etc.
I never heard a complain about presentation material crossing the border. When
COMMON wants us to hand out conference flyers at our meetings, they
ship me boxes of  "stuff' and they come to my door without any problem.

Please guys, stop whinning. Coming to Toronto will not be the end of the world and I am sure that the experience will be MUCH better than many of the locations COMMON went in the last 5 or 6 years (I won't mention any name here....)

Leo

--
Leo Lefebvre
Vice & Past President