A few days ago, I asked about a means to create MixedCaseFieldNames for
Views created on the iSeries and accessed via ODBC.  I received responses
from this group, fairly quickly, with a method for creating these mixed case
field names.  I then created some views using this method and made them
available to some of our company's more PC oriented people to use.  The
Crystal Reports users are in 7th heaven, its exactly the kind of thing they
see in their PC style databases, and they love it.  Then some other PC
weenies tried to access the same tables using ODBC from within M$-Excel.
Using Excel menu options:  Data / Get External Data / New Database Query.
Excel in it's infinite wisdom (maybe becuase M$ used to own a bunch of
AS/400s?) first converts the field names from Mixed to all UPPER case before
sending off the SQL query statment to the iSeries.  Of course the iSeries
then trys to find FIELD_A in a table that has Field_A, and the iSeries
returns a message to M$ Query indicating that FIELD_A does not exist in the
table being queried.

So finally - does anyone know how to make queries via ODBC to the iSeries
retain the case that they have when entered in PC land?  I did  a bit more
checking and both M$-Query, and SQLThing, seem to convert the field names to
UPPER case.

(Life was so much easier on green screens when everything was upper case,
and no one cared about such things).
;(

Andy Leisk
Senior Programmer Analyst