Martin,

I have done some deleting old records using constraints. I use the cascading
method to get a "waterfall" delete: delete one master record and all depending
children are "automatically" removed as well.

Some considerations, any way:
1) Journalling is required.
2) Duplicate keys are not allowed.
3) Orphaned records (details without master record) are not allowed (solved
this using SQL to remove those records)
4) You can only link master to detail (parent to child), not the other way
around (although that may be handy sometimes).
5) If the main PF is keyed, you may accidently remove the access path when
removing the constraint.

An example to illustrate this.

An example that works:
File A (master) primary key: OrdernumberA
          File B(child) primary key: OrdernumberA-OrderLineA
          File C (master) foreign key: OrdernumberA
                                primary key: OrdernumberB
                    File D (child) primary key: OrdernumberB-OrderlineB

Constraint File A - File B: OrdernumberA
                File A - File C: OrdernumberA
                File C - File D: OrdernumberB

When deleting a record from File A, all child records with the same ordernumber
in File  B were deleted. Because a constraint was made from File A to File C,
all records in File C with the same ordernumberA from File A were also removed
and a consequence of that records from File D were removed.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler