<Rant on>
This guy is unbelievably full of himself. "My inception as VP and CIO..."
??? He seems to be deifying himself here, doesn't it?

He claims that he doesn't have a mainframe, then talks about the ES7000.
What is a mainframe but a big box with a bunch of terminals accessing it? If
the terminals are PC's, so what? The concept is the same: centralized
processing.

"I have 20 developers today. They only develop in Visual Studio .Net. If
tomorrow, I put Linux in my environment, I would have to hire server people
to build, monitor, maintain and administrate those servers, and I would have
to hire a development staff to develop applications under the Linux
operating system. That's an awful lot of people. "

I can't believe the reporter let this comment slide. It makes absolutely no
sense. What does the number of developers have to do with systems
administration?

"I can tell you that I would need 50 percent more staff to run other
operating systems."

Upon what does he bias his opinion? I'll bet he's never seen the inside of
an iSeries shop and done a head count there.

"we don't have anything outside of Windows" ,    then a contradiction:
"It's Windows SQL Server 2000 64-bit on one and it's the Oracle system on
the other, because that's what the manufacturer who makes the (application
software) requires. We truly try to run a 100 percent Microsoft environment
to keep the cost down; but if there are applications that we buy from
vendors, whatever the required database is, that's what we run."

<Rant off>

Sorry Mr. CIO/God, but I don't think I'll be flying on an airline where the
pilots are completely reliant on a computer for the instructions. I'd be
willing to bet that those cockpits are not as "paperless" as he gives
himself credit for. My dad, who's been a pilot since WW2, said "Fat chance"
when I told him about the paperless cockpit. He also asked if I would trust
my life to Bill Gates... :-))

For fun, read the some of the talk back stuff, too.

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.
708-670-6978 Cell
pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx