Jan --

There are a LOT of companies in a dilemma similar to the one you describe.  My
company uses an old green-screen version of BPCS, and money is tight.
Nonetheless we are formulating plans for moving forward.

-> The "upgrade" path designed for green-screen is some kind of web-faced
system and thin client browser devices.  Linux on an old PC can be done for
LESS than a terminal today.  And IBM is pricing the interactive CPW such as to
make that alternative more cost-effective.

-> You make an interesting point . . . it is ASSUMED by IBM and all of the
software vendors that the GUI model is better.  I do not think that is a valid
assumption for all cases.

-> It appears that IBM is prepared to lose these customers rather than continue
to support 5250 over the long haul.  These customers are certainly low revenue,
and very likely not profitable as well.  They MUST do some kind of planning,
because the green screen apps will become untenable.  Eventually they will be
unable to extend the life of the old system, or the cost to maintain it will
become outrageous.

-> If there is no plan to transition to something, they will be in trouble.
The plan could be simple (lose the AS400 and revert to Excel), complex
(implement an open-source ERP on Linux), or somewhere in between.  Having no
plan is management malpractice!

On a side note:
"BTW: if I do not need to go 400+ miles to fetch my daughter, but only travel
around town, why will a Model T not do?"

I couldn't agree more . . the Model T will do.  A modern day version of it is
the GEM:  http://www.gemcar.com/  When my 10 year old gets to be driving,
something like this is very likely what she will get!

Take care!

Message: 1