Reggie:

OpsNav is one way, but won't help if you need to tell in a running program. The
List Server Information (QZLSLSTI) API can help. There's some basic CL code
pasted below that _should_ work for V4R3 and above. Use it as a guideline.

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   2. How to tell if Netserver is active? (Reggie Acosta)
>
>Where do I look and what do I look for to see if Netserver is active? I'm on
>v4r3.

--- begin
pgm

   dcl   &NSDate      *char      7  /* NetServer start date */

   dcl   &X00         *char      1  value( x'00' )

   dcl   &a_pos       *char      4  /* Data Start Pos.-Binary */
   dcl   &InfoQual    *char     15  value( '*ALL           ' )

/* Create a *usrspc to work with... */

   call  QUSCRTUS         ( +
                            'NETS      QTEMP     '  +
                            'TMPLST    '            +
                            x'00001000'             +
                            X'00'                   +
                            '*ALL      '            +
                            'Temporary IFS space    ' +
                            '*YES      '            +
                            x'0000000000000000'     +
                          )

/* List NetServer status info into our *usrspc... */

   call  QZLSLSTI         ( +
                            'NETS      QTEMP     '  +
                            'ZLSL0400'              +
                            &InfoQual               +
                            x'0000000000000000'     +
                          )

/* Get the starting position of the list from the header... */

   call  QUSRTVUS         ( +
                            'NETS      QTEMP     '  +
                            x'0000007D'             +
                            x'00000004'             +
                            &a_pos                  +
                          )

/* NetServer Start-Date is at offset 60 into the list... */

   chgvar     %bin( &a_pos )     ( %bin( &a_pos ) + 60 + 1 )

/* Get the NetServer Start-Date from the *usrspc... */

   call  QUSRTVUS         ( +
                            'NETS      QTEMP     '  +
                            &a_pos                  +
                            x'00000007'             +
                            &NSDate                 +
                          )

/* If the StartDate is binary zeroes, then NetServer isn't started... */

   if   ( %sst( &NSDate 1 1 ) *eq &X00 )         do
         sndusrmsg  'NetServer is NOT active.'  tomsgq( *EXT )
   enddo

/* ...otherwise NetServer is started... */

   else   do
         sndusrmsg  'NetServer IS active.    '  tomsgq( *EXT )
   enddo

   return

endpgm
--- end